Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Dutch Oven Almond Poppy Seed Whole Wheat Bread

I Don't Look Like This When I Cook
Baking bread has never been one of my strong points. Normally when baking, I mix up ingredients, my dough doesn't rise, and I'm left with a lump of bread that resembles and tastes like a rock. That's why I was so excited to discover a nearly fool-proof recipe, and I've had a ball trying to find all sorts of new add-ins to make this bread unique. This isn't your typical, fluffy bread, rather it is coarse and dense, but it fills your belly and tastes WonDeRfuL. Today, I'm featuring my Almond Poppy Seed Whole Wheat Bread.








Ingredients:

3 cups Whole Wheat flour
1 1/4 tsp. Salt
1 TBS Sugar
2 tsp Yeast
2 C. Warm Water
1/4 C. Rolled Oats
2 TBS. Poppy Seeds
1/4 C. Slivered Almonds

Directions: In a large PLASTIC bowl (glass and metal seem to hinder the rising time) mix together flour, salt, sugar, rolled oats, poppy seeds, and almonds. Stir well. In a separate bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. Once yeast is dissolved combine with flour mixture. Stir well. Dough will be sticky....this is not a problem....form a ball and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise for 12 to 18 hours.

Place dutch oven or deep baking dish in oven and pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. While oven and dish heats, dump sticky dough onto a heavily floured surface. Coat both sides of bread and let sit...DO NOT KNEAD...when oven reaches 450 degrees, carefully place dough into hot dish and bake for 35 minutes. Remove and let cool on baking rack.

And My Bread Doesn't Look THIS Good, but It's Still Yummy

No comments:

Post a Comment