Monday, May 23, 2011

First Book Review...Yikes!!

Last week I received my very first review of my new novel, The Alias. If you are familiar with LDS fiction, then you have probably heard of Jennie Hansen, the author of several LDS suspense novels. She is by far one of my very favorite authors, along with Dorothy Keddington (Return to Red Castle) and Kerry Blair(Closing In). I started reading Jennie Hansen’s novels when I was about thirteen-years-old, and her work had a profound effect on my youth. I LOVED Run Away Home, and those of you who haven’t read her novels are definitely missing out on some great reading. Currently, along with writing novels, Jennie Hansen reviews LDS Fiction and I had the privilege of having her review The Alias. I had a lot of mixed emotions about my first review. As a new author, I knew I’d have my share of good and a very good dose of bad. Jennie liked my protagonist, my story line, and the fiction arc. She picked apart my other characters and she was a little harsh about the style in which my characters conversed. However, I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. The opportunity to have one of the greatest authors of LDS fiction offer me advice is a blessing. I do have a difficult time with dialogue and my family and friends who know me well know that I “talk” with a certain style. To put it lightly, I am a hick, but very proud of it. However, I do overuse words and I often repeat myself. So, needless to say, as I read my first review, I smiled a little, I cried (okay, I bawled) a little, and I had myself a HUGE bowl of ice cream. But I have to admit,having my favorite author say that she can hardly wait to read my next novel left me grinning. I’ve taken her praise to heart and her critique to mind. I am eager to get back to work and throw myself into my writing.
To read Jennie Hansen's full review, visit the following link: 


http://www.ldsmag.com/books/book-reviews/article/8038?ac=1
                                                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment