Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Huber Hill and Dead Man's Treasure...



Summer is nearly at an end, and with fall fast approaching, I can't think of a better time to stock pile fantastic reading material for those long winter months. As a child my favorite thing to do was curl up under my warm blankets with my favorite flash light and read amazing stories of adventure and intrigue long into the night. I was captivated by lost treasure, brave explorers, and dark, mysterious caves. That is why I'm very excited to feature B.K. Bostick today, the author of Huber Hill and the Dead Man's Treasure! Dead Man's Treasure is set to be released in October and I can hardly wait! 


Welcome B.K. Bostick....

Tell us about your book-

Huber Hill’s best friend is his Grandpa. When he passes away, he’s devastated until he opens up a box left behind for him. Inside are these stacks of old journals, letters, and an old Spanish map that leads to a place called Tesoro de Los Muertos (Dead Man’s Treasure) along with a mysterious gold coin.  Huber ventures off with his sister and friend to discover this long forgotten, Spanish treasure. Unbeknownst to them all, a sinister Spaniard by the name of Juan HernĂ¡n Salazar shadows their every step and will do whatever it takes to find and take Dead Man’s Treasure for himself.


*100% profit from pre-orders and book sales between October 1-16 will go to Treasure for Alyssa                                                                        

What inspired you to write Dead Man’s Treasure?                                      

My Grandpa did. He always told me wild tales about Spanish treasure hidden up in the Rocky Mountains by the Spanish. He was sick when I knew him, so we never were able to search together. However, his stories stuck with me and I figured this would be a great way to keep those stories and legends alive.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?

That no physical treasure or amount of money is equal to lasting relationships with family and friends.

When and why did you begin writing?

I’ve always loved to write. When I was in third grade, my teacher used my paper as an example of plagiarism (only I didn’t plagiarize). I took it as a compliment. Since then I’ve written a lot of short stories, but Dead Man’s Treasure  is my first full length novel. The second book, Huber Hill and the Brotherhood of Coronado will be released next October (2012).

Do you see writing as a career?

Probably not. If it worked out to where I could write full time, I can’t imagine any job I’d enjoy more, but I really enjoy my day job, working as a teacher mentor for Western Governors University.

Do you have any advice or tips on writing you would like to share?

1)      Show, don’t tell. I had a great editor tell me that most authors fall into the trap of telling instead of showing. In other words, if I need to tell you how a character feels, then I didn’t do my job as a writer. Write what you know- use your own experiences and memories to perk up a narrative.
2)      Know your audience- Do you have a specific person you’re writing for? Know what age, gender, and crowd your writing appeals to.


Visit my book's site at-http://www.deadmanstreasure.com/

Check out the fundraiser I'm doing for a very special girl-http://www.treasureforalyssa.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment