Monday, June 20, 2011

Meet Chas Hathaway....Author of "Marriage is Ordained of God, but Who Came Up with Dating?

A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of meeting author Chas Hathaway. Immediately, I was impressed with Chas's multifaceted talents and cheerful personality. Chas is both an author and a talented musician. A collection of sheet music, including original works and new arrangements of familiar hymns and inspirational music, can be found HERE. Not only does Chas find time to compose music, he has also written Giraffe Tracks, a true account of an LDS Missionary in Post-Apartheid South Africa, and his first industry published book, Marriage is Ordained of God, but Who Came up with Dating?, a humorous guide to help you succeed in dating. I really enjoyed getting to know Chas Hathaway better.



What inspired you to write your first book?
When I got home from my mission to South Africa, I couldn't shut up about how cool it was. I think I probably wore my family out for a few weeks telling them everything. It wasn't until after I got married and had been home a few years that I toyed with the idea of writing the story of my mission in a novel-like format (at the time I didn't know what a memoir was). By the time I finished the first draft, I was so in love with writing that I had already started two more WIPs, one of which was an early version of  Marriage is Ordained of God, but Who Came Up with Dating? , which will be my first industry published book.

What books have most influenced your life?
By far, the scriptures and words of the living prophets have had the greatest influence on my life. I suppose that's why my first books have been LDS nonfiction. I do enjoy YA, as well, especially fantasy, speculative fiction, mystery, and historical.

What are your current projects?
What aren't my current projects? I'm working on another LDS nonfiction book on scripture study, a YA sci-fi adventure, a MG fantasy, a family history memoir, and an LDS doctrinal book on the second coming of Christ—and a few other ideas mulling around in my head.

Did you see writing as a career?
Absolutely. I've got a long way to go before it can be a full-time job to support my family, but that's the goal—with writing music as a co-career.

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
I had a favorite author once, but I've discovered so many awesome ones now that I can't narrow it down. It's just not possible. I do really like Chris Heimerdinger, James Dashner, Gerald Lund, Rick Riordan, JK Rowling (yes, I'm a Potter fan), and like 50 others.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
Tons. First, that it's possible for anyone with a love of writing to write a book. Second, that writing a book is a fabulous experience. When I first thought about writing a book (Giraffe Tracks), I was terribly intimidated, thinking it would take twenty years, and I had no intention of ever publishing it. It was lifetime project, intended for posterity. But by the time I finished it four years later, I was kind of sad to be done. I didn't want to stop, even though the story was over. So I continued writing more books. Writing is almost as fun as having the experiences about which you write. You might say writing is the safe way to have an adventure, and when you're writing fiction, the writing becomes an adventure of itself. You become attached to characters, and feel much of what they feel. It's something of a voyage of discovery, and even after I write the book, I feel like one of the audience, wondering what's going to happen next, or what's going on behind the scenes.

Thank you, Chas, for stopping in today! 




Pre-order your copy today!


You can visit Chas today at www.chashathaway.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment